As previously discussed making use of role-plays in the training program is a very effective way in which to teach:
- Be clear and concise about your objectives, make sure the participants understand the reason behind your teaching and the importance of practice what they have learnt.
- A risk- free environment is crucial to the success of using role-play in the class. Introduce it incrementally after you have demonstrated the wanted response or attitude by means of video etc.
- Review the procedure, steps and skills that have been demonstrated throughout the session.
- Prepare an observer sheet which helps the observer focus on the role player’s behaviour. It can serve as a checklist for them to follow once the session is over.
- Before giving your input as instructor, get feedback from your participants in the role-plays and also the observers.
- Throughout the conversation, focus on the process not the content.